Become a member of the Trust
We are the only organisation that campaigns solely for the Kennet and Avon Canal. Our aim is to promote the Kennet and Avon Canal to the benefit of all its users, the communities through which it passes, and its heritage.
Other than during the pandemic, the Trust receives no funds from public sources. So we rely on member subscriptions and donations and grants for specific projects to fund our work. Our plans for the next few years include:
- conserving the historic Wash House at Aldermaston Wharf;
- improving the facilities on Newbury Wharf, and along the canal through Newbury;
- providing new facilities at Bedwyn Wharf for those hiring the accessible Bruce Boats;
- purchasing the Smithy at Crofton from CRT, and developing it as a visitor and education space;
- developing the Devizes Wharf building, and bring the Archive from its current location at Caen Hill;
- through our branches, continuing to run public trips on the canal, and working with CRT to ensure the maintenance of the canal for the benefit of all its users, whether on the water or towpath.
These are ambitious plans, and will only be delivered if we can raise sufficient funds. So we invite anyone interested in the canal, and supporting our ambitions, to join the Trust. As a member, you will be able to attend and vote at our Annual General Meeting, and in that way help shape our future strategy and activities. You will receive our twice-yearly magazine, The Butty, and other updates by email. You will get free entry to Crofton Beam Engines (or discounted entry for special events).Membership is open to anyone who donates more than a minimum amount (£20 for an individual, £23 for two adults at the same address). If you are able to donate more, please do so – this will help us deliver our plans more quickly. And if you are a UK tax-payer you can help us even more by completing a Gift Aid declaration.You may opt to receive a printed copy of The Butty as well as an electronic copy. But please consider the environmental impact, and that simply receiving an electronic copy will save us around £6 a year per member.
Our branches are involved in a wide range of activities and every branch has something worthwhile for members to get involved with.
- Bradford on Avon
- Bath and Bristol
You can choose to be affiliated to one of these Branches, but you can also ask to receive information from other Branches.Please note that if you would like to get in touch with us about your membership the best way to do so is by email – firstname.lastname@example.org.