Dates from the start of the campaign in 1955 to save the Canal from formal abandonment. The Branch helps manage the successful Canal Shop and Information Centre at Aldermaston and has an active itinerant sales stand that can, on request, attend events anywhere in the Home Counties.
Aldermaston Visitor Centre, Shop & Café
Tel: 01189 712868
The Canal Cafe is located just east of the lift-bridge that carries the A340 across the Canal beside Aldermaston Lock, and sells refreshments, sweets, ice creams and souvenirs. The garden offers an ideal venue to enjoy the canalside setting, and car parking is nearby. The cafe is currently closed for refurbishment and we hope to reopen at Easter.
Our branch holds monthly meetings from September to May (excluding Dec). These take place at The Grange Free Church Hall, Circuit Lane, Southcote, READING, RG30 3HD starting at 7.45 pm. Entry donation £2.50 (incl K&A members) – to help pay for the meeting. Branch contact is: John Swift who can be reached on 0118 941 5540 or 07533 886 917 and by email: email@example.com.
- Tue 15 Jan ‘Tutts Clump Cider’ – Tim Wale
- Tue 19 Feb ‘Canal Laureate 2018/19’ – Nancy Campbell
- Tue 19 Mar Branch A.G.M. – ‘Canals north of Manchester’ – David Copley
- Sat 30 Mar R•E•S•C•U•E- 10.00 a.m. @ County Lock. After @ Southcote Mill.
- Wed 27 Mar Branch ANNUAL LUNCH – The Butt Inn, Aldermaston
- Tue 16 Apr ‘K&A Locks & Bridges – names’ – Matt Girling
- (19 – 22 April – EASTER B.H.)
- (06 May – early May MAY DAY B.H.)
- Tue 21 May Joint meeting with IWA – ‘Basingstoke Canal’ – Roger Cansdale
- (27 May – late May SPRING B H)
- Sat 15 June Reading WATER FEST
- ? ? ? ? ? Outing to Wey & Arun Canal. Date and venue to be decided
The Eastern End K & A Volunteers
The Eastern End K & A Volunteers is an independent Community Waterway Adoption group and is authorised by C&RT to carry out maintenance work on certain parts of the K&A. 2nd Wednesday and last Saturday of each month. If you would like to join a Working Party, contact :
Mick SAVILL by email. <firstname.lastname@example.org> for dates and details
and to check that the next one will actually be taking place