Dates from the start of the campaign in 1955 to save the Canal from formal abandonment. The Branch helps manage the successful Canal Shop and Information Centre at Aldermaston and has an active itinerant sales stand that can, on request, attend events anywhere in the Home Counties.
Aldermaston Visitor Centre, Shop & Café
Tel: 01189 712868
The Canal Cafe is located just east of the lift-bridge that carries the A340 across the Canal beside Aldermaston Lock, and sells refreshments, sweets, ice creams and souvenirs. The garden offers an ideal venue to enjoy the canalside setting, and car parking is nearby.
Our branch holds monthly meetings from September to May (excluding Dec). These take place at The Grange Free Church Hall, Circuit Lane, Southcote, READING, RG30 3HD starting at 7.45 pm. Entry donation £2.50 (incl K&A members) – to help pay for the meeting. Branch contact is: John Swift who can be reached on 0118 941 5540 or 07533 886 917 and by email: email@example.com.
- Tue 21 Jan ‘The future of the Trust’ – Chris Sims, Trust Chairman
- Tue 18 Feb ‘Long Life Lock Gates’ – Laurel & Hardy (Bill Fisher & Terry Kemp)
- Tue 17 Mar Branch A.G.M. – ‘Bruges to Paris by slow boat’ – Rob Dean CMG : President K&ACT
(10 – 13 April – EASTER B.H.)
- Tues 21 April ‘Reading to Isleworth Thames short cut – James Brindley’ – Victoria Owens
(Fri 08 May Bank Holiday – Changed from Mon 4 May)
- Tue 19 May Annual Joint Meeting with IWA at Southcote. Speaker TBA
(25 May – Bank Holiday)
- Sat 13 June Reading WATER FEST